SPEC.COM.AU | 2020 AFL & Local Footy Tipping
Terms and Conditions
- Registration to this Web Site and entry into any Promotion conducted on this Web Site is free.
- Participants must not register more than once.
- When registering, participant must accurately complete all details in the online registration form and must specify a valid username and password which they will use when competing in the competition.
In these Terms & Conditions of Entry, unless the contrary intention appears, the following words and phrases have the meanings set out opposite them:
- “Away Team” means the team that is listed as playing away from their home ground. If the Code does not nominate an Away Team, the Away Team will be nominated at the discretion of the Promoter and will be posted on the Web Site. An Away Team may not be nominated for finals matches if included.
- “Margin Game” means the Match selected by the Promoter in a given Round for which Participants are required to select the winning margin.
- “Matches” means a single game conducted, between member teams in a Season that is made available on the Website.
- “Participant” means a person who is eligible to participate and registers for or participates in any of the Promotion(s) by logging into the Web Site with their username and password;
- “Promotion” means any tipping competition for any Season of Matches or Rounds in a Season, made available on the Web Site whereby winning entries are based on the Results of Matches (for tipping promotions) at the conclusion of the relevant Round or Season, as the case may be;
- “Results” are the results or outcomes of Matches as officially determined in accordance with the rules following the completion of a Round;
- “Round” means a round conducted during the Season that is made available for tipping on the website.
- “Margin Variance” means the number of points between the margin entered by the Participant for the team they select to win in a Margin Game and the actual margin for that team in the Margin Game. The Margin Variance will be calculated depending on whether the Participant has selected the winning team for the Margin Game. If the Participant has tipped the winning team for the Margin Game, the Margin Variance will equal the difference between the actual margin and the margin entered by the Participant. If the Participant tipped the losing team, the Weekly Margin will equal the actual margin plus the margin entered by the Participant. Participants with a lower Weekly Margin will be ranked higher than those with a higher Weekly Margin.
- “Season” means the series of home and away games (or series of Matches as indicated otherwise on the Web Site) as listed on the Web Site. At the discretion of the Promoter, Seasons may or may not contain the finals series for any Promotion and will be posted on the Web Site;
- “Score” means the allocation of points to a Participant for the correct selection of a Match as defined by the website;
- “Web Site” means the Web Site of the Promoter accessible on the Internet through the World Wide Web.
- “Round Margin” means the number of points between the margin entered by the Participant for the team they select to win in a Margin Game and the actual margin for that team in the Margin Game. The Round Margin will be calculated depending on whether the Participant has selected the winning team for the Margin Game. If the Participant has selected the winning team for the Margin Game, the Round Margin will equal the difference between the actual margin and the margin entered by the Participant. If the Participant selected the losing team, the Weekly Margin will equal the actual margin plus the margin entered by the Participant. Participants with a lower Weekly Margin will be ranked higher than those with a higher Weekly Margin.
- “Stats” means the historical scores of previous games involving both the home and away teams. These matches are displayed in a way to educate the selector and provide information for an educated selection. Where the two teams may not have competed in any previous matches, this will not provide any details and is at the discretion of the Promoter as to what is displayed.
- “Total Margin” means the sum of the Round Margins for all Rounds to date in a given Season for a particular Participant. Participants with a lower Accumulative Margin Variance will be ranked higher than those with a higher Accumulative Margin Variance, subject to further conditions;
- Information on how to enter, scoring and prizes as posted on the Web Site forms part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. These Terms and Conditions of Entry serve as separate Terms and Conditions of Entry for the Promotions being conducted on the Web Site. Entries and Participants not complying with these Terms & Conditions of Entry are ineligible and the Promoter reserves its absolute right to disqualify any Participant from the Promotion if any entries do not comply with these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Entry into any Promotion is deemed to constitute acceptance of these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
- Promotions are open to residents of Australia (and other countries where the law allows residents to enter Promotions of this nature). Entry into the Promotion is free. An individual may only be eligible for prizes if they registered as a Participant once and therefore may only place one set of tips per Round per Season. The Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to verify the identity of the Participant. If the individual is found to have registered more than once as a Participant the Promoter reserves the right to refuse to grant prizes.
- Entry into any Promotion conducted on the Web Site is available as specified on the Web Site anytime during the relevant Season provided there is one game within the final Round that has not commenced.
- The Promoter however reserves the right not to accept registration for any Participant if the registration contains anything slanderous or defamatory or is otherwise unsightly in any way, as determined by the Promoter in its absolute discretion. The Participant’s participation in the Promotion can be withdrawn due to unsightly conduct at any time during and after the Promotion. This includes any registration that the Promoter reasonable suspects have been created using a computerised scripting tool.
To enter any tipping Promotion, a Participant must:
- Make a selection of the teams the Participant tips to win and the margin by which they expect the winning team’s score to exceed the losing team’s score for each specified Margin Game for a nominated Round. A margin is required for the Margin Game or Games in any given Round as specified on the Web Site.
- Participants will be allocated the Away Teams if they fail to make their selections by the close of tipping in any given round and be entered into the Promotion.
- Participants will be allocated one (1) point towards their Score for each correct selection of a Match. In the event of a Match in a given Round being drawn, cancelled, abandoned, not completed or not played for any reason and/or a Result is not officially declared within three (3) days of the date the Match was originally scheduled to be played, it is treated as a win for both teams competing in that Match for the purposes of calculating each Participants’ Score.
- A Participant may make or change a tip for a given Match in a Round at any time prior to the scheduled starting time or offset deadline of that Match.
- If a Participant does not submit tips for a given Match in a Round, a default Score will be allocated. For matches with an away team, the Participant will have the Away Team nominated as their selection, and if the Away Team wins that Match the Participant will be awarded one (1) point. In the case where a Participant does not submit a selection for a Margin Game, their margin tipped for that Margin Game will be deemed to be zero (0). If there are no selections received for a Round at all, then all the Away Teams for that Round will be nominated as that Participant’s selections.
- In order to determine the results in each Round, Participants will be ranked:
- firstly by their Score, where the highest Score has the highest rank;
- then, in the case of a tie, by each Participant’s Margin Variance, where the lowest Margin Variance has the highest rank;
- then, in the case of a further tie, by each Participant’s Margin Variance for the last round, where the lowest Margin Variance has the highest rank; and
- the, in the case of a further tie, the Participant who first initially registered to participate (either in a current Season or in a previous Season) has the higher rank.
Round rankings will be determined no later than 72 hours after the last Match of the particular Round has ended.
The end of Season rankings will be determined:
- firstly by the Participant’s total Score for all Rounds;
- then, in the case of a tie, by each Participant’s Margin Variance for the Season;
- then, where Participants have identical Scores and identical Margins Variances, the Participant with the lowest Round Margin for the last Round within the Season will be ranked highest; and
- then, in the case of a further tie, the Participant who first initially registered to participate (either in a current Season or in a previous Season) has the higher rank.
End of Season rankings will be determined no later than 72 hours after the final Round of the Season has been completed.
Any cost associated with accessing the Web Site is the Participant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used. A Participant electing to access the Web Site via wireless platforms for the purpose of registering for and/or entering tips may be subject to content service fees imposed by its telecommunications provider. No revenue sharing or commission arrangement exists between the Promoter and the telecommunications provider in relation to any such transactions.
In the event that a prize winning Participant is unable to accept their prize for whatever reason, or the prize is unable to be allocated, within three (3) months of the results being determined, the Promoter will award that prize to the Participant who met the eligibility criteria and would have been deemed the prize winner had the original prize winning Participant not participated in the Promotion.
Prizes (if any) and their values are as set out on the Web Site.
- All prize winners will be notified by email and will be published on the Promoter’s Web Site upon determination.
The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of registrations and site activity and the eligibility of applicants and Participants (including an applicant’s or Participant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any Participant who submits a registration, tip, fantasy team or any other information on the site that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Entry or who tampers with the registration or any processes of the website (including but not limited to tampering by way of use of techniques designed to avoid the payment of SMS costs). Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter and its agencies associated with this Promotion (including their respective officers, employees and agents) are not liable and do not accept responsibility for:
- a Participant’s selections that are not received or which are received and subsequently corrupted or rejected by the Web Site server, whether or not after receipt by the Promoter;
- any lost, misdirected or corrupt emails to or from the Web Site;
- the Website not being continuously available for use;
- any loss or damage whatsoever (including but not limited to direct, indirect or consequential loss) or personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with a Participant’s participation in the Promotion or the taking of a prize or otherwise relating to the conduct of the Promotion, however caused, including failure of the Web Site or incorrect or corrupt data supplied by the Promoter to a Participant;
- any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
- any variation in the value of any prize; or
- any tax liability incurred by a Participant or prize winner.
As a condition of accepting any prize, the winner must sign any legal documentation as and in the form required by the Promoter and/or prize suppliers in their absolute discretion, including but not limited to a legal release and indemnity form.
Information about Participants is used by the Promoter to assess and process registration in the Promotion. If an applicant does not provide the required information, the Promoter cannot process the registration. All entries become the property of the Promoter and will be entered into a database. Information emanating from the Participant’s participation in the Promotion is used by the Promoter and its agencies associated with this Promotion for the determination of winners and distribution of prizes, if any, awarded to a Participant. Participants consent to publishing their name and Score in the results section of the Web Site and as otherwise set out in these Terms and Condition of Entry. The Promoter will not be held responsible for any loss of reputation, status or otherwise in connection with a Participant’s tipping selections and consequential results. It is a condition of entry that Participants consent to these uses and disclosures of their information. Information about Participants may also be used by the Promoter, its agents, contractors and related companies, for the purposes of carrying out marketing, planning, product development and direct mail, telemarketing and promotional campaigns unless a Participant otherwise withdraws their consent to the use of their information in this manner.
Notwithstanding the Promoter’s rights to not accept or to subsequently disqualify a Participant, the Promoter will not be liable for any legal action arising out of any Participant’s name or postings on the Web Site being slanderous, defamatory or unsightly to the public at large, except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law. By participating in the Promotion, the Participant agrees to indemnify the Promoter, its agents, contractors and related companies from any legal action, claim or dispute arising in relation thereto.
In the event there is a dispute concerning the conduct of the Promotion, the decision of the Promoter is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Promoter shall not be liable for any manufacturer defects in prizes or for any loss, damage or personal injury whatsoever which is suffered or sustained (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) as a result of taking a prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law. The use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits any person to enter the Competition repeatedly is prohibited and all Participants or entries submitted reasonable suspected of originating from a Participant engaging in such practices will be terminated at the discretion of the Promoter.
By entering this Competition all entrants:
- assign to the Promoter all rights including present and future copyright in their entry and the publicity materials in all media (including, without limitation, the internet) and whether in existence now or created in the future;
- agree not to assert any moral rights in respect of their entry and the publicity materials (wherever and whenever such rights are recognised) against the Promoter, its assigns licensees and successors in title;
- undertake to the Promoter that their entry is not in breach of any third party intellectual property rights.
A failure by the Promoter to enforce any one of these terms and conditions in any instance(s) will not give rise to any claim or right of action by any other person or Participant.
The promoter reserves the right to update terms and conditions from time to time. Changes will be posted on the website.
The Promoter is Hamilton Spectator Partnership Pty Ltd. ABN 78 182 985 650 of 59 Gray Street, Hamilton VIC 3300 Australia (“Promoter”).